If you recall, back in July of 2008 when I decided to upgrade my second line (wife's iPhone) to an iPhone 3G, it took me no fewer than 7 hours at the Chelsea Apple Store before I was able to finalize the upgrade. Needless to say, the experience left little to be desired.
When I decided to upgrade my primary line to an iPhone 3G contract earlier this week, I was surprised how easy and fast it was from the AT&T store on 34th Street near 7th Avenue in NYC. I'd say the entire process took 5 minutes.
1. Walked in, noticed no one was in-line from the sign-in sheet
2. I asked for an iPhone 3G upgrade and provided my phone number
3. Decide on which iPhone 3G to get (8GB or 16GB, Black or White)
4. Young lady brings out my new iPhone 3G, picked SMS plan and activation took seconds
5. Paid for it and walked out
I was very impressed!