June 12, 2013

A little foreshadowing about mobile internet plans...

As I was flipping through TV stations tonight, I ran across a spot from a MVNO that promises unlimited overseas call for a flat monthly rate of something ridiculously cheap.  It suddenly dawned on me that at some point in the near future, we are going to look back at how silly networks like AT&T and Verizon are gouging the 3G or 4G internet plans (with silly usage caps or throttles once you go above the 2- 3- 5-GB limit).

I remember growing up, a land line offering overseas calls at 10 to 15 cents per minute was considered a deal.  Once we moved along to the cell phone era, no one seems to give a shit about the land lines or their cheap offers.  In the beginning, we were hording the 300- 500- or 1000 minutes on our mobile calling plans and it seems like now we hardly give a shit.

Soon, I predict 4G, 5G or whatever-G data plan is going to be a commodity that is no longer going to be gouged by the carriers... we will move on to something big and look back at this period and think: "man, that was weird how we valued these data plans so much... and I can't believe I used to pay so much for them on a monthly basis over a 2-year contract...

If the acceleration in mobile has taught me anything, its that new technology will mature faster... so one can hope the day where carriers can ease up on data plan should arrive soon.

No comments: